Assistant Director of Communications and Marketing
Young Harris College, a selective liberal arts college located in the beautiful North Georgia mountains, seeks an Assistant Director of Communications and Marketing. Review of applications begins immediately.
Responsibilities and Duties
Under the direction of the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Assistant Director supports the goals of the Office of Communications and Marketing and the Office of Advancement through a range of communication tools and initiatives. Increasing awareness of and providing information on the College through both online and traditional media communication initiatives are the primary objectives of this position.
The Assistant Director also:
- Regularly collaborates with Advancement staff, executive administration, and College-wide departments and divisions
- Works with technical support on programs and design changes for the website, as necessary
- Provides daily site maintenance of content, developing new content and features and coordinating with the staff and departments to ensure information on their pages remains accurate and timely
- Develops and implements the Office of Advancement’s social media strategy, maintains the College’s primary social media networks, and serves as a liaison for other College-affiliated outlets
- Researches and gathers information for press releases, articles, and other projects
- Enforces and updates the College’s social media policy and ensures that the objectives and strategies adhere to correct standards and procedures
- Serves as managing editor for e-mail newsletters, including writing content, designing, and distributing to a variety of audiences
- Creates, distributes, and manages “e-blasts” from the Office of Advancement and other departments
- Maintains the College’s photo database and oversees photography projects, as needed
- Manages video production for the College, including the creation of in-house videos as well as the management of video projects with outside companies
- Creates multimedia presentations, as assigned
- Writes and distributes press releases, articles for alumni magazine and other publications, and copy for marketing collateral, as assigned
- Assists with creation and implementation of media and public relations initiatives and develops relationships with media and other key external influencers
- Plans and oversees advertising and promotion activities including print, online, electronic media, and direct mail
- Manages and assists with special projects as assigned
- Assists with project assignments to student workers and student interns as necessary
A bachelor’s degree in technical communication, public relations, journalism/communications, marketing, or a related field is required. A minimum of two years of experience is preferred. Experience must demonstrate initiative and ability to work collaboratively and effectively across organizational lines. Must be able to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, e-mail, and Internet use is required. Flexibility with PC and Mac platforms and experience with Adobe Creative Suite or other design software beneficial. A working knowledge of standard camera equipment and video editing software is desired.
Other requirements include:
- Excellent verbal, written, and proofreading skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional ability to write releases, magazine articles, and other promotional and informational materials quickly, accurately, and professionally
- Working knowledge of social media, web design and protocols, and AP style guidelines
- Ability to make timely decisions using solid judgment and knowledge of organization’s goals
- Ability to effectively present information to individuals, groups, and media
Young Harris College
Founded in 1886, Young Harris College is affiliated with The United Methodist Church. The College enrolls approximately 1,120 students across five divisions: Fine Arts, Humanities, Mathematics and Science, Education, and Social and Behavioral Sciences.
The College has experienced significant enrollment and campus growth since receiving accreditation in 2008 from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to offer baccalaureate degrees. The College has 17 baccalaureate degree programs, 17 minors, and five pre-professional programs. The strategic plan outlines the addition of more majors each year, so substantial growth is expected to continue.
The faculty has doubled in size during the past four years. The student-to-faculty ratio is 13:1.
Major campus improvements include the recent completion of a LEED Silver-certified residence hall in 2009, a LEED-certified recreation and fitness center in 2010, an apartment-style residential village in 2011, and a residence hall for freshmen in 2013. More facilities are under construction and/or in design, including a $41-million campus center.
The College has a strong endowment and a significant alumni and donor base.
In addition to the campus in Young Harris, the College has an administrative office in Atlanta.
Young Harris, Georgia, is located in the southern Appalachian Mountains, ideally situated between the Chattahoochee, Cherokee, and Nantahala National Forests. The College is two hours north of Atlanta and two hours south of Asheville, North Carolina, and Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Applicants who would enrich the diversity of the campus community are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE M/F/D/V
Nominations and Applications
Submit nominations and applications to the email below. Nominations should include the individual's name, title, and contact information. Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and four references:
Review of materials begins immediately.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting is assisting Young Harris College with this search. The lead consultant is Emily Paker Myers, President and CEO.