- Requisition #: 201025313
- Job Category: Public Affairs
- Operation: Public Affairs
- Job Group: Intern-Coop
- Job Grade: 10
- Job Code: 2796
- Relocation Assist Available: No
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC 20003 - PUBLIC AFFAIRS - WASHINGTON DC
* Only candidates with a cover letter and a 2-3 page writing sample attached to their resume will be considered.
UPS seeks applicants for the position of legislative assistant in its Corporate Public Affairs Office in Washington, D.C.The UPS Public Affairs Office is responsible for handling governmental affairs issues of UPS at the international, federal, and state levels. These issues include, but are not limited to, healthcare, transportation, energy, security, international trade, labor, and aviation. UPS is the world’s largest package delivery company and currently serving more than 220 countries and territories.
Duties and Responsibilities for government affairs legislative assistant:
- Assisting in research and supporting Public Affairs management staff
- Drafting position papers, speeches and testimony on legislative activity affecting UPS
- Tracking and monitoring legislative activity on bills that may affect UPS
- Event planning for various meetings and corporate visits
- Attending hearings, briefings, and negotiations
- Assembling and disseminating newspaper and other publication clips
- Organizing briefing materials and providing general administrative support as needed
Duties and Responsibilities for public relations legislative assistant:
One legislative assistant will also support UPS’s public relations activities. Additional duties and responsibilities include:
- Producing a quarterly newsletter with a nationwide circulation
- Designing collateral materials for both internal and external use
- Implementing issues management strategies for UPS’s legislative and regulatory concerns
- Drafting talking points, press releases, speeches
The Public Relations Legislative Assistant MUST be proficient with the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Photoshop). Previous public relations/communications/journalism experience is beneficial.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
Candidates with a long term desire for a career in Public Relations, Public Policy, Law and Government Affairs. Position requires strong writing, editing, and research skills. Must be MS Office literate, with particular proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel. Must also be comfortable utilizing the Internet for research. The ability to work well under pressure and the ability to multi-task effectively and independently are critical to job success. Strong communication skills and time sensitivity to deadlines are also important.
Educational Requirement: Bachelor’s Degree
Interviews: Interviews will be conducted via teleconferencing and at the UPS Public Affairs Office in Washington, D.C.
Employee Status: One-year full-time paid internship: June 18, 2012 – June 14, 2013
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Monday, December 16, 2011
- Authorized to Work in the U.S.
- Graduating in May 2012
- Attach cover letter and writing sample to resume
Employer will not sponsor visas for position.
UPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job ID: 25313
UPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer