Corporate Communication Intern
Requisition Number: SCS2002057
State-Region: Georgia-Metro Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Services
Corporate Communication Interns will be exposed to all areas of the department and its various programs in an attempt to provide the student with a broad overview of the communication profession as practiced in a corporate environment. Specific writing and project coordination assignments will be varied, but extra emphasis will be given to assignments in the area of the intern's interests or targeted specialty, including internal communications, media relations, client support, advertising, marketing communications, environmental communications, social media, etc.
This internship will be located in downtown Atlanta, in our Corporate Communication department. The internship will last from January - May 2012.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific assignments during the course of the semester should include:
- Researching and writing four or five articles for internal newsletter, followed by editing/coaching sessions with the editor
- Drafting of at least one news release
- Drafting four or five postings for company intranet site
- Assisting various staff members with research, writing and proofreading support
- Handling assignments related to advertising or marketing communications
- Handling assignments in support of the company's social media outlets
- Assisting with special projects, brochures, posters, PowerPoint presentations, meeting arrangements, website development, video production, etc.
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Pursuing a degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Corporate Communications, Web Communications or other related field of study
- Prefer students entering their junior or senior year
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Writing and editing experience. Part-time jobs on university newspapers, magazines, websites or other publications would be an advantage.
- Project management and organizational skills a plus.
- Knowledge of communication basics taught in journalism, public relations or media courses essential.
- Proficient computer skills needed -- Microsoft Word and PowerPoint used most frequently; Excel Spreadsheet a plus.
- Web and/or social media communications, programming or design a plus.
We offer a competitive compensation package. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job Type: Internship
Travel (Up to...): No
Southern Company Headquarters - 30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW (30ATLANTA)
30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW