PLANNED PARENTHOOD FEDERATION OF AMERICAFor nearly a century, Planned Parenthood has worked to create a world where sexual and reproductive rights are basic human rights, where access to health care doesn’t depend on who you are, and where every person has the opportunity to choose their own path to a healthy and meaningful life. With its 68 affiliates managing nearly 700 health centers nationwide, Planned Parenthood provides high quality reproductive health care services, education and information to millions of women, men and young people each year.
National Office – New York, NY
Senior Graphic Designer
National Office – New York, NY
Senior Graphic Designer
The Creative & Editorial Services Department of Planned Parenthood Federation has an opportunity for a Senior Graphic Designer. Reporting to the Director, Content Strategy and Production, he/she will be responsible for producing materials that support Communications Division initiatives, as well as materials for some print, web, and multimedia efforts by other departments and divisions. The Senior Graphic Designer ensures that material is engaging for target audiences, communicates messaging effectively, and reflects PPFA’s brand. The Senior Graphic Designer is housed within the Communications Division and works as part of a cross-divisional design team at PPFA that includes a Creative Director on the Brand and Marketingteam and staff on other teams who design materials.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Design and produce a high volume of graphic design, digital and printed materials, campaign collateral, presentations, merchandise, ads, and other material. Ensure that all material is of very high quality, reflects/advances the organization’s goals, is delivered on time, and adheres to brand guidelines.
• Collaborate with PPFA teams to understand the goals and target audiences for specific initiatives and projects, and develop creative concepts and directions that advance those goals. Take initiative to develop proposals for different types of material, design directions, and creative concepts.
• Manage outside consultants and contract workers as needed, to ensure that they have the information, tools, and direction to produce a large volume of high-quality work, often under tight timeframes.
• In close coordination with Director of Content Strategy and Production, proactively identify opportunities for graphic design to strengthen existing activities (for example, generate ideas for how design can advance public awareness campaigns, development efforts, etc. – and how design can be used effectively by a wide range of affiliates).
• Work closely with Creative Director to develop a nuanced and practical understanding of PPFA’s brand and visual identity/guidelines. Review design drafts with Creative Director to get critical feedback. Provide input into brand direction, along with other staff across teams with design responsibilities.
• As needed, support broader content production efforts (video, multimedia, etc), which may include video editing and post-production, as well as photography and photo editing.
• Complete other tasks and projects as assigned. Ability and willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends, is essential.
Education: Bachelor's degree in related field and additional training. Advanced degree a plus.
Years of Experience: 5+ years
• Creative and capable of developing modern, sophisticated, dynamic design. Self-motivated, highly-organized, goal-oriented team player. Must possess a positive attitude. Commitment to customer service.
• Candidates will be required to present a portfolio of relevant professional work for review as part of the interview process.
• He/she should have extensive understanding of design principles, techniques, and technologies.
• Possess a strong visual sense and be able to produce high-quality visual materials in an extensive variety of media, working both alone and in a team.
• Must have superior typography skills and be fluent in all major graphic design and audio visual software (such as Adobe Creative CS6, Photoshop, etc), as well as video editing and post-production programs.
• Possess a thorough understanding of the entire chain of production from concept to delivery for many types of collateral and merchandise.
• Must have interest and ability to remain current with rapidly changing design, production, and distribution technologies. Should have strong knowledge of Web design. Should have knowledge of photography principles and formats, and experience with photo editing.
• Must be a strong communicator, conscientious, and highly motivated. Should be a problem-solver inclined toward innovation and invention.
• Must have impeccable attention to detail. Also required are respect for the standards and values of Planned Parenthood messaging, information, and content.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.