MARKETING MANAGER [COMM-43]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Communications Department, NY
For more than 93 years, the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLUF) has been at the forefront of virtually every major battle for civil liberties and equal justice in this country. Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU has offices in all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico, and brings together the country’s largest team of public interest lawyers, lobbyists, communication strategists, members and activists in the advancement of equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society.
The Communications Department of the ACLU’s National office located in New York City, seeks applicants for the full-time position of Marketing Manager.
The ACLU has made an unambiguous and unwavering commitment to the importance of communications as a central and essential element in the success of its mission. The organization places great emphasis on the role of marketing and branding to sustain a high level of visibility for the organization and to increase public understanding of its mission. The Marketing Manager is a member of the team of communications professionals based in the ACLU National Office in New York and the Washington Legislative Office (WLO) in Washington, D.C.
Under the direction of the Associate Director of Communications/Marketing, the Marketing Manager will be responsible for developing marketing strategies, and managing and promoting activities and events that promote the ACLU and its key spokespeople. The Marketing Manager will use an in-depth understanding of the issues that the ACLU champions to create short and long-range marketing plans, programs and activities that further the ACLU visibility and “brand”.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· In cooperation with the Associate Director for Communications/Marketing, create overall marketing strategy and execute short and long-range marketing plans, programs and activities that further the ACLU “brand”.
· Research and evaluate opportunities to launch a variety of marketing campaigns to maximize the organization’s exposure and achieve marketing goals.
· Manage and launch campaigns and related activities including the creation and placement of print, broadcast and online ads.
· Create and oversee the production of digital and print brochures, banners, and displays for internal and external events for which the ACLU is a sponsor, co-sponsor, exhibitor or participant.
· Collaborate with the digital team to ensure effective use of social media related to branded activities as well as graphic design.
· Collaborate with the Development Department on the creation and execution of online advertising strategies and donor communication materials.
· Manage the use and work of outside vendors as needed.
· Manage marketing budget to ensure effective use of resources.
· Analyze the effectiveness of marketing strategies and revise as needed.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or a related field.
· Minimum of 5 years in marketing, advertising, public relations or a related field.
· Experience in advocacy and issue management and fundraising a plus.
· Experience using social media as a tool for building brand awareness.
· Knowledge and experience working with graphic designers, advertising, marketing, public relations firms.
· Excellent editing and proofreading skills required; experience with AP style a plus.
· Excellent communication skills, especially public speaking skills for making presentations and working with a wide array of ACLU staff, affiliates and vendors.
· Must be self-motivated and possess the ability to work with minimal supervision.
· Must be detail-oriented, well-organized and possess the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
· Strong Microsoft Office Suite and online communications skills.
· Commitment to civil liberties and social justice.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume tohrjobsCOMM@aclu.org - Reference [COMM-43/ACLU-W] in the subject line. This email address is specific to Communications Department postings. In order to ensure your application is received, please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Applications can also be mailed to:
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Please indicate where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.