COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER FOR REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS [RFP-19]
American Civil Liberties Union
Communications Department, NY
For more than 93 years, the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLUF) has been at the forefront of virtually every major battle for civil liberties and equal justice in this country. Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU has offices in all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico, and brings together the country’s largest team of public interest lawyers, lobbyists, communication strategists, members and activists in the advancement of equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society.
The Communications Department and the Reproductive Freedom Project of the ACLU’s National office located in New York City, seek applicants for the full-time position of Communications Manager for Reproductive Rights.
In the courts and in state capitols across the country, the ACLU is a leader in the efforts to protect reproductive rights. Over the past several years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number and severity of attacks on access to abortion and other reproductive health services, including extreme measures designed to shut down clinics and outlaw abortion. The ACLU has responded to this assault with exceptional legal talent, top-level policy and advocacy expertise; a savvy communications department; a million members, activists, and social media followers; and our nationwide network of ACLU affiliates working in state capitols and with local communities and their local media. The ACLU now seeks to add to these efforts an experienced professional who will lead the development and implementation of the ACLU’s communications strategy for advancing reproductive rights.
The Communications Manager will be a critical member of an interdisciplinary team that will integrate and capitalize on the expertise of staff focused on litigation, digital and traditional mobilization, and state-based advocacy to build support for reproductive rights, encourage activism, and defeat further restrictions. The Communications Manager will bring to that team communications strategy expertise, solid experience in media relations, and the ability to advance campaign messages via social media. The Communications Manager will report to the Deputy Director of Communications.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the development and execution of creative, multi-faceted communications strategies to advance the ACLU’s efforts to protect reproductive rights.
- Identify and seize opportunities to promote ACLU messages and spokespeople on reproductive rights.
- Determine the need for communications documents and correspondence, including talking points, news releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, blog posts, backgrounders and web content. Draft or supervise the drafting of documents.
- Serve as a resource for ACLU’s national staff and ACLU’s nationwide network of affiliates on communication strategies and messaging to protect access to reproductive rights.
- Increase coverage of reproductive rights issues and ACLU messages by cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters, editors, producers and bookers.
- Serve as the ACLU representative in reproductive rights and justice communications coalitions.
· Oversee reproductive rights web site content, ensuring that that it is current, engaging and useful.
· Where appropriate, hire and supervise work of advertising and messaging research firms.
· Help prepare ACLU staff, clients, and other advocates for media appearances and interviews.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of seven to ten years of professional experience in media, public relations, or communications strategy.
· Substantial experience in planning and executing communications strategies.
· Experience working on issue-based advocacy campaigns a plus.
· Bring new ideas for campaign, traditional and social media messaging.
· Experience and familiarity working with journalists at all levels.
· Familiarity with online news, social media and digital movement-building tactics.
· Prior involvement in managing messaging and advertising agencies/firms.
· Excellent research, writing and editing skills; ability to produce clear, concise materials on tight deadlines.
· The ability to communicate persuasively and professionally, in writing and verbally to a wide variety of media, political, stakeholder and influencer audiences.
· Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to follow projects through to completion.
· Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
· Experience working in the field of reproductive rights preferred, but not required.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the position, please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to hrjobsCOMM@aclu.org - Reference [RFP-19/ACLU-W] in the subject line. This email address is specific to Communications Department postings. In order to ensure your application is received, please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Applications can also be mailed to:
American Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Please indicate where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact HRJobsINCLReq@aclu.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”