Writing Specialist, Center for Community Change, Washington, DC
About the Center for Community Change
The Center for Community Change is a national social justice non-profit organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1968 to honor the life and values of Robert F. Kennedy, our mission is to build the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to have a significant impact in improving their communities and the policies and institutions that affect their lives.
The Center for Community Change is committed to help build powerful and dynamic movements in diverse communities across America that will be the impetus for creating a society in which everyone has enough to thrive and achieve their full potential. Inspired by a belief in the dignity of all people, the Center has been instrumental in the fight for comprehensive and fair immigration reform, a push for a bold jobs agenda, and protecting essential retirement security programs. The Center played a major role in recent positive changes to immigration laws that will keep thousands of immigrant families together. Our Housing Trust Fund Project has helped bring affordable housing to millions of people.
For further information please visit our website at:www.communitychange.org.
We’re looking for an experienced writer for our Institutional Advancement team who can write quickly, clearly, persuasively, with passion and under deadline. We need a story teller, a listener, a researcher; someone who can glean information from a wide range of sources and weave it into a compelling narrative. We would welcome someone with marketing experience to complement the writing experience.
The success candidate will become well-versed in the Center’s program areas, and will support the fundraising for those programs by writing a variety of materials for a donor audience, including: grant proposals and reports, newsletter and website articles, blog posts, direct mail and email copy, and marketing materials. This person will also write outreach materials to help raise the public profile of the Center for Community Change and the Campaign for Community Change. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to use professional writing skills and marketing savvy to advance social justice. The Writing Specialist will be a key member of the Institutional Advancement team, which has a staff of eight professionals including three dedicated writing professionals. This position reports to the Writing Director.
• Write grant proposals and reports as well as marketing-type materials (e.g. blog posts, newsletters, brochures, web content, etc.) to support CCC’s fundraising and outreach efforts.
• Provide writing support to the individual donor fundraising and outreach conducted through the Annual Fund and Major Giving programs. This will include writing and editing fundraising and direct mail letters, program materials and memos, marketing materials, quarterly highlights mailings and other materials.
• Conduct editing, proofreading and quality control for materials produced by Institutional Advancement and, when time allows, by other CCC teams.
• Develop detailed understanding of the breadth of CCC’s activities as well as specific program areas for which the candidate might be the principal writer. This could involve reading staff reports, interviewing staff members, participating in strategy sessions, observing field work, and other means.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Strong writing and editing skills.
• Professional writing experience; writing experience within a fundraising and/or nonprofit environment is a strong plus.
• Ability to analyze and synthesize written materials.
• Proven ability to work independently, meet multiple deadlines, and work under pressure.
• Good communication, listening and research skills.
• Team player; good sense of humor a plus.
• Ability to work with multiple and diverse staff throughout the Center.
• Commitment to the Center’s mission.
• Marketing skills are a plus.
Salary & Benefits: CCC offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Closing Date of Position: Open until filled.
How to apply: Please submit resume, a cover letter that includes salary expectations and at least two writing samples to:
Subject line should read: Writing Specialist position