The international nonprofit GoodWeave (www.GoodWeave.org) works to end child labor in the rug industry and offer educational opportunities to children in weaving communities. GoodWeave uses a market-based model to achieve its child-labor-free goals by licensing rug importers in the U.S. and Europe and their exporters in South Asia who commit to the GoodWeave standard. The GoodWeave label is the best assurance that no children were exploited in the making of a rug.
Duration: Spring Semester 2013 (1 intern); Summer 2013 (1 intern)
Payment: Unpaid (student practicum), with transportation stipend
The Communications Intern will assist GoodWeave staff in implementing an ongoing national consumer awareness campaign, One in a Million, through tasks that support media placements of print public service announcements (PSAs), outreach to press, event support, stakeholder support and materials development. Intern will be mentored and have the opportunity to develop marketing and media generalist skills applicable in the work force.
Specific tasks, depending on intern’s time commitment, may include:
- Developing media contact lists from an online database and tracking media placements
- Creating and implementing social media engagement opportunities and actions
- Working with the website, photo files, video and other digital content
- Supporting logistics for events
- Writing and researching
- Assisting Communications Director and staff with administrative tasks
- Performing independent projects in alignment with the skills and interests of intern
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills (required)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Acrobat (required)
- Excellent online research skills and ability to comprehend information and discern its relevance
- Experience with databases (we use FileMaker Pro)
- Familiarity with Web 2.0 communications tools and platforms
- Experience with basic HTML preferred
- Experience with print layout and design software, video editing software and/or general web development a plus
Must be enrolled or have just completed Public Relations/Media/
Candidate should thrive in an autonomous, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. GoodWeave’s nonprofit-business model requires business-oriented staff.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter highlighting your skills, interest and relevant experience to email@example.com.