Planned Parenthood Southeast is hiring!
The Legislative Coordinator will assist the Public Policy Manager in our overall goal of increasing public and legislative support of our agenda. Serves as an assistant to the Legislative Consultant by helping to develop and implement a plan to increase the visibility of our issues, step up recruitment efforts for citizen activists, and keep them engaged and active on these issues during the legislative session. This position is temporary for the duration of the 2013 session of the Georgia General Assembly.
- Functions as assistant to Public Policy Manager and Legislative Consultant during legislative session at state capitol.
- Obtain copies of proposed legislation.
- Follow bills through committee hearings.
- Attend committee hearings and report detailed findings.
- Help prepare witnesses for committee hearings.
- Compiles database on key votes during legislative session.
- Maintains and updates legislative maps.
- Coordinates lobby trainings, legislative briefings, mid-session reports, and other presentations for local groups.
- Mobilizes activists for special purposes, including letter writing campaigns, days of action, and visibility events.
- Serves as the point person for Women in the Halls citizen lobbying program.
- Initiate contacts and maintain relationships in targeted communities and organizations.
- Plan weekly themes, create pre-emptive fact sheets and talking point materials for Wednesday lobbying days at state capitol.
- Trains training citizen activists.
- Supports direct lobbying efforts.
- Create legislative intern work plan, organize and supervise their work.
- Represents PPSE in coalitions.
- Performs administrative duties.
- Supply Public Policy Manager with information for grant reports, board reports, and strategic plan updates.
- Track time spent and expenses as required.
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor level degree or higher
- 3 years experience preferred in lobbying and/or political campaigns, or community organizing .
- Familiarity with and commitment to pro-choice issues.
- Familiarity with Georgia politics preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including database management.
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, including writing skills.
- Ability to earn the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents.
- Ability to gracefully manage multiple projects and to meet multiple deadlines.
- Long hours in the fast-paced, stressful environment of the Capitol.
- Car and driver’s license required for in-state travel.
- Flexibility in work hours as some evenings and occasional weekend hours are necessary.
- English required, some Spanish preferred.
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Flexible, positive, team player
- Commitment to quality health care
Qualified candidates submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to:RESUMES.PPSE@PPFA.ORG
PPSE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, region, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, income, marital status, or any other dimension of diversity.