US Communications Manager
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in China, India, Indonesia, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit (BRT), non-motorized transport, travel demand management, parking, transport policy, and urban development. More information about ITDP can be found atwww.itdp.org.
ITDP’s US program is focused on raising the quality of BRT in the US. It does this through direct technical support to US cities, assistance at the national policy level, and development of The BRT Standard (see www.brtstandard.org), a scoring system which defines standards for BRT based on international best practice. ITDP’s US program is also exploring the intersection between BRT and land development.
This position will raise the profile of ITDP’s US program as ITDP begins to play a larger role in BRT efforts in the US.
The US Communications Manager will be a part of the US Country Team and will report to the US Country Director. S/he will be expected to work flexibly and creatively with the US team as well as with ITDP’s global communications team. S/he will have direct contact with the press, as well as with the communications divisions of ITDP’s US funding organizations. The primary responsibility will be press and public relations, but the position will also include event planning and writing.
- Regularly monitor media and respond to media inquiries on all aspects of ITDP’s US program
- Coordinate launches of The BRT Standard scoring system, including the annual release of scores, packets for the cities / systems that receive a ranking
- Schedule press events
- Work with US Country Team to write and place op-eds and articles in a range of publications.
- Organize and attend study tours for US press to various international cities
- Produce packets that contain key points about BRT and The BRT Standard in a concise format, with compelling statistics, case studies, and FAQs, and adapt for various audiences
- Manage a web presence for The BRT Standard that includes a database of scores, case studies, and FAQs and is interactive, allowing users to try scoring their own cities’ BRT systems.
- Write fresh clear compelling copy and blog posts for online publication or use in a variety of marketing materials. Contribute to ITDP’s general social media presence.
- Manage the dissemination of US publications in accordance with ITDP’s branding guidelines.
- Plan domestic and international events, such as the awarding of BRT Standard scores and invite and coordinate with press.
- Coordinate with development team and global communications team to ensure messages, publications, and events can further both program and organizational communications and development goals.
- 5-7 years of experience in public relations, communications, and social media
- BA/BS required
- Strong communicator with excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience writing for online content – blog, online magazines
- Experience with HTML, Content Management Systems
- Highly proficient in MS Office and Adobe Create Suits – specifically InDesign, Photoshop
- Highly organized and attention to detail
- Knowledge of transportation and/or urban planning issues
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Experience in a nonprofit environment preferred
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.