Primary Purpose: Support GuideStar’s Communications Director in the
execution of public relations, media relations, thought leadership and
social media strategies. This is a 15 hour per week hands-on job with
significant commitments to communications outreach and measurement,
research, and writing. Reports to Lindsay J.K. Nichols, GuideStar’s
Responsibilities: Duties and responsibilities include, but are not
• Support the implementation of a comprehensive thought leadership plan
including researching and securing speaking opportunities, bylined
articles, awards and other relevant opportunities for GuideStar and its
• Support GuideStar’s busy media relations office including fielding
calls from the media, pitching feature stories and third party
commentary from GuideStar’s experts, drafting and placing bylined
articles in target publications, researching letters to the editor and
opinion editorial opportunities, etc.
• Support the implementation of GuideStar’s Money for Good II campaign:
pitching, drafting and editing various communication materials,
developing PowerPoint presentations, posting to various social media
channels with related content, etc.
• Monitor public discourse on nonprofit topics and engage with followers
and participants in the social media sphere – blogs, forums, Facebook,
• Post blogs from GuideStar experts on the Trust Blog and CEO Blog
• Responsible for metrics-gathering as it relates to GuideStar’s
individual social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest,
blogs, SlideShare, YouTube, LinkedIn, Wikipedia, Flickr, etc.
• Craft messages, talking points, presentations, blogs and other
strategic communication correspondence
• Currently studying public relations, communications, journalism, or
• A true dedication to the internship, and a commitment to coming in on
time and working hard
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work independently and manage high-detail,
deadline-sensitive projects with professional quality
• Team player attitude, demonstrated by being flexible and responsible
as well as being a self-starter
• Working knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
To apply, please e-mail to Judy Jennings at email@example.com:
• Letter explaining interest, dates of availability, and any specific
interests in public relations or marketing
Who is eligible?
Current undergraduate and graduate college students are eligible for the
internship program. To qualify, you must be pursuing a degree,
certificate or diploma (full time or part time), and at least 18 years
of age. You also need to be in good academic standing at your school and
a U.S. citizen.
Join our team today! Go to www.guidestar.org to find out more.