USO is a voluntary, civilian, nonprofit organization serving the human
needs of military personnel and their families worldwide. Since 1941
the USO has fostered understanding and interaction between the military
and civilian communities. The core of the USO today is a human services
program offered through Airport Centers, Fleet Centers, Family and
Community Centers, Orientation and Intercultural Programs, and Celebrity
USO-Metro is the largest affiliate of the World USO Organization’s 160
locations and one of the most sophisticated and successful.
Administratively based at Fort Myer, USO Metro operates four Airport
Assistance Centers, five Family Support Centers, one Joint Services
Center, and the Mobile USO program which travels onsite to deliver
programs and services to 26 local military installations. USO Metro
also provides a wide range of services including local special events,
food assistance, holiday programs, hospital visits, information
programs, job fairs, orientation programs, child safety programs, an
entertainment ticket-line, and administers the worldwide USO program
called Operation USO Care Package. Service Members and their families
are the reason USO-Metro exists. Every program and service has been
developed to give back to the men, women, and children who sacrifice so
much for our country.
The Communications Manager reports to the Vice President – Marketing &
Development (VPMD) USO Metro.
Develops and implements consistent communications and marketing
strategies that strengthen the USO brand and generate high visibility
for the USO of Metropolitan Washington and its mission. Serves as a
liaison with a number of pro bono PR and marketing agencies and directs
and manages those relationships.
Develops and implements effective internal communications strategies and
vehicles for the staff and volunteers of the organization to promote
open communication, learning and collaboration.
Works with the VPMD on concept development, community relations, media
relations, special events activities support, and support of key
Provides concept and story development, writing, editing and production
supervision of organizational collaterals, including annual report,
print and electronic newsletters, website content, press releases,
presentations, briefs, direct marketing and fund development materials,
talking points and speeches for organizational personnel.
Serves as a spokesperson for the organization and provides appropriate
media training for other select USO-Metro spokespersons.
• Works with the President and VPMD to develop and implement short-term
and long-term communication and marketing strategies that compliment the
organizations strategic plan.
• Oversees the development of organizational print materials including
the newsletter, the annual USO Guide to Washington, fact sheets, annual
report, marketing pieces, website, programs and brochures.
• Manages and analyzes the effectiveness of organizational materials,
including print, web and e-communications, to ensure consistency in
overall image of organization.
• Coordinates and implements media relations activities including
developing story ideas, press conferences, creating and submitting
calendar announcements, press advisories and releases for publication.
Responds to press inquiries, and maintains relationships with media
• Promotes the USO with other social service organizations, community
organizations PAO’s and other strategic partners at all local military
• Improves and maintains the media database and organizational contacts
• Develops and maintains relationships with vendors, designers, media
and others required to support communications projects and needs.
• Formulates communications budget and develops and maintains
relationships with vendors, designers, media and others required to
support communications projects and needs.
• Works with the Special Events Manager to develop pre and post event
written materials needed for events, to include script writing, program
design and correspondence copy.
• Works with VPMD to provide overall direction in organizational
messaging and branding.
• Prepares and maintains the annual marketing plan to meet visibility of
all organization programs, services and events.
• Maximizes use of pro bono PR and Marketing firms to stretch
organizational resources and broaden the reach of USO-Metro messaging.
• Develops and implements the organizational presence online through
organizational website and social media networks, and serves as key
staff member responsible for keeping the online presence current.
Areas of Competency:
• Superior communication skills with ability to interact well with the
public, board and staff.
• Outstanding written and oral communications skills with emphasis on
creating and writing collateral material.
• Knowledge of Washington and Baltimore media as well as military
• Highly organized, flexible and self motivated with the ability to
manage multiple tasks and remain calm in hectic situations.
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a
• Bachelor’s degree with a background in journalism, public relations or
related field that included significant writing for public consumption.
• Prefer three years work experience in an agency, non-profit, or
• Knowledge of desktop publishing required. Quark Xpress and InDesign
preferred. Experience using Dream Weaver or comparable HTML editor.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who seeks to have a
positive, direct, and meaningful impact upon the morale and quality of
life of U.S. Military personnel and their families. Compensation is
open, targeted in the $50,000-$60,000 range, plus bonus and excellent
Please: Candidates local to Washington DC Metro area only.
For confidential inquiries, please contact: