National Multiple Sclerosis Society- National Capital Chapter
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a collective of passionate individuals who want to do something about MS now and move together toward a world free of multiple sclerosis.
The National Capital Chapter of the National MS Society is currently seeking a communications professional to fill the position of Public Relations Coordinator in the communications department in Washington,D.C. This role requires a high level of energy, excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to set priorities and to coordinate multiple activities and tasks among staff and constituencies including media outlets, public affairs mediums, speakers, government officials, volunteers, fund raisers, and sponsors to raise awareness about multiple sclerosis and the National MS Society.
We are seeking an individual to support our chapter’s communications efforts with a focus on public relations and earned media. The ideal candidate will be responsible for cultivating new and existing relationships with members of the media, including journalists, photojournalists, bloggers, and social media managers. The position requires collaboration with all staff members in order to research, draft, and pitch the most compelling stories to raise awareness about multiple sclerosis through media impressions in the greater Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
Secondary duties will include public affairs outreach, program and fund-raising event support, social media monitoring and management, web edits, writing for in-house publications, and helping with the strategic marketing efforts of the chapter.
Incumbents will possess:
- A bachelor’s degree (required) in public relations, communications, or marketing (preferred).
- Excellent writing skills with a focus on succinct, on-brand messaging.
- Demonstrated abilities in creativity, interpersonal savvy, public speaking, and project planning.
- An attention to detail, the ability to generate enthusiasm and to influence others is paramount.
- Proven abilities in multi-tasking and problem-solving.
- Experience working with a non-profit organization, association, or agency is a plus.
- Proficiency in office software systems and database management – Microsoft Office suite, word, and desktop publishing.
- Experience editing web content.
- Knowledge and experience of flash design and/or graphic design and the Adobe Suite a plus.
- An eye for design in the context of editing and providing feedback on marketing materials both online and in print.
- Flexibility in scheduling to attend meetings, programs, and events in the evenings and on weekends.
- Ability to travel throughout the Chapter’s territory – 13 jurisdictions in the Washington,D.C.metropolitan area.
How to applyThe National MS Society, National Capital Chapter offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Please send a cover letter, resume including salary requirements, and 2-3 writing samples to PR.DC@nmss.org.