Do you want to learn more about media relations? Do you want to get head start on your career while you're still in school? Let GuideStar USA, Inc., help with a partnership between you, your school and GuideStar's marketing department in its Washington, DC, office.
This part-time college credit internship puts you at an advantage by combining your academic studies with on-the-job training and relevant career experience. You'll apply theories and work on projects that give real-life meaning to your classroom instruction. The position is on a volunteer basis, but GuideStar is committed to working with your relevant advisors and professors to ensure that the experience you gain is practical and career-building.
Primary Purpose: Support GuideStar's Public Relations and Social Media Marketing Manager in the execution of media relations strategies. This is a 15 hour per week hands-on job with significant commitments to participation in traditional media relations activities.
Reports to: PR & Social Media Manager,Lindsay Nichols
Responsibilities: Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive media relations strategy including fielding calls from the media, pitching feature stories and third party commentary from GuideStar's experts, drafting and placing bylined articles in target publications, researching letters to the editor and opinion editorial opportunities, etc.
- Responsible for daily traditional media monitoring, and gathering metrics as it relates to GuideStar's media activities
- Establish and maintain editorial contact lists and editorial calendars, and pursue and fulfill editorial opportunities
- Craft messages, talking points and other strategic communication correspondence
- Currently studying public relations, communications, journalism, or communications-related courses
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and manage high-detail, deadline-sensitive projects with professional quality
- Team player attitude, demonstrated by being flexible and responsible as well as being a self-starter
- Expert knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Who is eligible?
Current undergraduate and graduate college students are eligible for the internship program. To qualify, you must be pursuing a degree, certificate or diploma (full time or part time), and at least 18 years of age. You also need to be in good academic standing at your school and a U.S. citizen.
What are the benefits?
- Hands-on public relations and marketing work experience
- Flexible work schedule
- May qualify for credit towards degree requirements
GuideStar USA, Inc., www.guidestar.org, connects people and organizations with information on the programs and finances of more than 1.8 million IRS-recognized nonprofits. GuideStar serves a wide audience inside and outside the nonprofit sector, including individual donors, nonprofit leaders, grantmakers, government officials, academic researchers, and the media.