The YWCA USA, (http://www.ywca.org/) currently has an internship opportunity available to those with an interest in the Communications, Online Engagement and Public Relations aspect of nonprofit management. This is a great opportunity for someone who is studying public relations, mass communications, journalism, and/or marketing, or has recently graduated with a degree in one of these fields, and is looking for real work experience. This is an unpaid internship. College credit can be arranged.
Duties to include:
- Assisting the Department of Communications as needed with all communications projects, online engagement projects and press
- Assisting with the YWCA's Annual Conference
- Writing and editing external/internal communications (Website, Blog entries, News Releases, E-newsletter articles)
- Maintaining press clips
- Making pitch calls to members of the media
- Providing content for social media sites (Facebook , Twitter, etc.)
- Researching and implementing new outreach campaigns
- Strong writing, editing skills
- An open mind and willingness to learn
- Ability to learn programs and processes quickly
- Excellent interpersonal skills; comfortable making cold-calls
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Basic understanding of organizational structure of print & radio media
- Understanding of Facebook and Twitter as it relates to non-profit outreach.
- A sincere interest in the YWCA's mission of Eliminating Racism and Empowering Women.
To qualify for a YWCA internship you must meet the following:
- Set aside political beliefs and be objective and non-partisan while working.
- Be in good standing with your university/school.
- Commit to a minimum of 10 consecutive weeks, and a minimum of 12 hours per week, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Internship Location: YWCA USA, 2025 M St., NW, Washington, DC 20036. Our office is four blocks from Dupont Circle Metro Station on the DC Metro's Red Line.