The AAUW Communications Department is seeking a talented undergraduate or graduate student as an intern to assist with communications projects.
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. Since 1881, AAUW has been one of the nation's leading voices promoting education and equity for women and girls.
This internship is ideal for students who are passionate about women's issues and who are seeking to explore professional career possibilities in communications, social media, public relations, PR or any aspect of amplifying an organization's presence.
A minimum of 20 hours per week is strongly desired and preference will be given to fellows with greater availability. The internship may be eligible for academic credit.
- Writing/editing copy for print and online publications
- Speech writing
- Updating AAUW materials so they remain current
- Creating copy for AAUW e-communiques
- Writing AAUW Programs in a Box
- Tweeting, blogging, Facebook updating and other social media updates and releases
- Assistance on AAUW's My Vote campaign
- Assistance on coordinating and hosting events
- Prepare for new brand launch
- Excellent writing skills and copy editing skills (AP style preferable)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel)
- Past/ongoing studies in communications, social media, marketing or other applicable studies
- Strong oral communications, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Strong interest in women's equity and social justice issues
- Good sense of humor and occasional flexibility to attend evening events
- Video and video editing skills a plus
- Familiarity with use of Flip Camera for capturing short video material
- Familiarity with social media and social networking is valuable