Austin Toros Media Relations Internship - Spurs Sports & Entertainment (Austin, TX)
POSITION: Media Relations Internship
REPORTS TO: Media & Community Relations Manager
Direct Reports: None
CAPSULE POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Media Relations interns have the opportunity to see the business side of sports marketing first hand for the Austin Toros. The Austin Toros are a part of the NBA Development League, the NBA’s minor league system. The Austin Toros are directly affiliated, owned, and operated by the San Antonio Spurs. Interns have the opportunity to work directly with the Austin Toros, dealing with various aspects of the day to day operation of the Team, such as public relations, community events, game nights and general office duties. Internships are paid positions (minimum wage), but are not guaranteed employment once the internship is completed.
Positions Available: 2
Internship pay: $7.25 an hour
Internship length: September 15, 2011 – April 2012
The incumbent in this position is expected to model the following practices on a daily basis: demonstrated alignment with the company's mission and core business values; collaboration with key internal/external resources and ongoing self development.
KRA'S (Key Responsibility Areas):
1. Assist Media Relations Manager with public relations duties
o Survey and research trends in the sports industry
o Assist with efforts to increase awareness of the Austin Toros brand and image
o Manage and update list of Austin media outlets
o Develop copy for press releases and media guides
o Assist with game day media responsibilities. Attendance at ALL home games is mandatory.
2. Attending and assisting with set up of select community events.
o Attend and assist with set up of community events
o Coordinate participation in community events with non-profits, schools and other youth and sports organizations
3. Assist with general office duties
o Assisting with duties such as mailings and filings
o Management of computer database
o Answering phones and directing calls when in the office
The following measurement methods are intended to provide a sound basis for assessing the performance of the jobholder in this position.
• Weekly Supervisor/Employee Meetings
• Daily feedback when necessary
• Service Surveys and Internal/External Feedback
• Achievement of Business Units Strategic Goals
• Self Development and IDP Goals
• Must be available to work September 15, 2011- April 2012 in the office and at all games
• Must be a junior or senior in a 4-year College, or enrolled in a related graduate program
• Strong communication and computer skills
• Must be able carry/move/handle 25 pounds boxes
• Self-starter, pro-active, highly motivated
• Has the ability to work efficiently and in a timely manner in order to meet strict deadlines
• Has a commitment to excellence
• Is outgoing, resourceful and able to work with a diverse working environment.
• Is flexible with schedule; willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays, pending events schedule.
Internships are paid positions (minimum wage), but are not guarantees of employment once the internship is completed. Internships last approximately one school semester, summer, or in correspondence with a sports season and is based on successful completion of duties and fulfillment of all responsibilities.
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Are you currently enrolled in a college or related graduate program?
2. Do you have a flexible schedule and the ability to work the seasonal game scheduled evenings or weekend dates?
3. Are you proficient in computer programs, such as Microsoft Office Suite?