Communications and Outreach Intern – Summer 2011
Jessica Alatorre, Senior Associate for Community Partnerships
World Food Program USA (WFP USA) is a U.S.-based, nonprofit,
nonpartisan organization that focuses on building support in the
United States for the United Nations World Food Program (WFP) and
other hunger relief operations. WFP USA unites organizations and
individuals committed to solving world hunger. Our education, advocacy
and fundraising efforts in the United States support WFP’s life-saving
global food assistance and development programs. WFP is the world’s
largest humanitarian organization, working to put hunger at the center
of the international agenda.
WFP USA is seeking a college student or recent college graduate as a
Summer Intern to support the needs of the Communications and Outreach
team. The work schedule is flexible, but the candidate should expect
to work 20-30 hours per week from mid-May through August (dates are
negotiable). There is an option to extend through the fall semester,
based on review.
The intern will gain valuable experience working with a nonprofit
organization, outreach and communications initiatives, volunteer
management and hunger issues. The intern will also gain a general
overview of WFP USA and WFP’s work around the world.
Start date is May 23, 2011 (negotiable).
• Aid in the creation and development of volunteer toolkits and
• Engage in efforts to increase WFP USA grassroots supporters - We are
focusing our efforts on universities, civic/service organizations and
• Manage general volunteer events and needs - The intern is
responsible for responding to general volunteer inquiries and
providing tools and resources for related events that may benefit WFP
• Manage email communications - The Communications and Outreach team
receives regular emails from people all over the country interested in
getting involved and learning more about our volunteer program. The
intern manages all initial correspondence with the department.
• Manage collection of weekly news clips for the organization.
• Write one blog entry on a relevant topic each week for the WFP USA
• Support social media efforts/provide relevant research as needed.
• Opportunities to support other communications projects as needs
• Support special events as needs arise.
• Experience with volunteer/grassroots management, engaging social
networks and organizing skills considered a plus
• Must be extremely organized and able to work independently
• Ability to bring new ideas to the table and take initiative
• Adept at coordinating multiple tasks/projects and meeting deadlines
• Attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal skills, ability to communicate with
• Capacity to absorb lots of new information quickly
• Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office
• Interest in international development, grassroots organizing,
communications and nonprofit organizations
A modest stipend is available and amount will depend on hours worked
each week with a maximum amount of $250/month.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a final deadline
of May 18, 2001.
Please note: If this internship is the right match for you, please
Please send a cover letter, resume and brief writing sample (no more
than three pages) to Jessica Alatorre at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please specify “Communications and Outreach Intern” in the subject
line. It is preferred that you submit all materials as one document,
in PDF format. Alternatively, materials may be faxed to 202-530-1698
or mailed to 1819 L Street NW, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20036 to the
attention of Ms. Alatorre. No phone calls please.
WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.