Transportation Alternatives, New York City's advocate for walking, bicycling and public transportation, seeks a Communications Director to develop and execute communications strategies for advocacy campaigns and events and to oversee media operations in our office.
- --Job Description--
Transportation Alternatives seeks an energetic, articulate and politically-adept thinker to lead our communications initiatives. We believe that press is power, and we weave communications into all of our work. We are in 700+ media stories a year, fielding calls daily from across the city, country and around the world.
The Communications Director will put T.A.'s broad array of internal and external communications and PR tools to work, advancing our campaigns, strengthening our organization and building our movement. Your charge will be to work with our staff and partners to build and undertake
communications strategies that promote biking, walking and pubic
transit, and win safe streets and more public space.
Daily duties include developing and executing media and PR strategies, conceiving, writing and editing press releases, planning and holding media events, developing communications plans for T.A. reports and events, proofreading and copy-editing, as well as representing T.A. to
the general public. Frequent evening and weekend engagements, as well as late nights and early mornings will be a regular part of this position. As a staff member, you will represent T.A. at Community Board meetings and other events.
You should have experience working in New York politics, on public relations campaigns, with a wide range of media and should be a compelling writer and have very strong public speaking skills. Knowledge of Spanish and T.A.'s core issues a huge plus.
Transportation Alternatives' office is a fast-paced and collaborative work environment. The Communications Director reports to the deputy director and works closely with the executive director and senior staff.
The position will manage communications staff as well. You will work with our entire office to bring a public relations lens to our work and build relationships that advance our advocacy, events, membership, development, design and IT programs.
* At least two years experience working in public relations, government,
journalism or in a communications capacity for an elected or political
official, advocacy organization or public relations or media outlet
* Knowledge of New York City's neighborhoods and political landscape
* Able to distill complex positions into sound bite-ready talking points
* Confident in public speaking and ability to represent T.A.
* Strong writing, proofreading and copy-editing skills
* Experience with online communications, e-advocacy and social media
* Demonstrable interest in urban planning, transportation,
environmentalism and public health
* Commitment to reducing car use in New York City, and increasing
walking, transit and bicycling
* Comfortable under pressure, with tight deadlines and working in an
highly participatory environment
* Savvy and inventive with all types of media
* Management experience preferred
* Insatiable appetite to learn about transportation, road safety and
* Really good sense of humor
* Cover letter
* Two writing samples
To: Communications Director Search
127 W. 26th Street, #1002
New York, NY 10001
job_applications [at] transalt [dot] org
Fax 212 629-8334
Women and people of color encouraged to apply.
No phone calls or walk-ins please.