Writer/Editor, Acres U.S.A., Austin, Texas
Acres U.S.A. -- North America’s largest, oldest publication serving
commercial-scale sustainable/organic farmers and ranchers -- is seeking
a decisive, energetic, organized writer/editor for its monthly magazine
Responsibilities are broad and varied, but include:
• Coordinating work of freelance writers and editors.
• Copyediting/proofing/fact-checking all content.
• Writing some original feature stories and columns, rewriting of news
into short articles.
• Monitoring online content sources and other publications for news and
• Handling a variety of publication business details (freelancer pay
sheets, filing source material, limited assistance to readers,
furthering relationships within industry, encouragement and development
of freelance writers, etc.).
Position is full-time, Monday-Friday, located in southwest Austin (area
of MoPac and Ben White).
• Bachelor’s in journalism (preferred), English, communication, or
related field. Other degreed candidates considered with appropriate work
• Minimum two years experience with a print publication. Web experience
• Foundation knowledge in the sciences (life sciences, chemistry).
• Awareness of fundamental issues surrounding the environment, food
policy, organic agriculture and natural living.
• Excellent organizational skills and decision making ability.
• Attention to details, accuracy, and excellent editing and proofreading
• Capable of interviewing, researching and writing quality articles.
• Competence in Microsoft Word and Outlook (Microsoft Excel and Adobe
Photoshop and InDesign a plus).
• Ability to manage multiple projects under recurring deadlines, as well
as balancing pressing deadlines with future needs.
• Salary commensurate with experience.
• Company-paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
• Paid holidays, vacation, and personal days.
• Opportunity for limited travel.
Learn more about what we do at www.acresusa.com. Please submit resume
with cover letter explaining your personal interest in or connection
with our subject matter, skills you can deliver against this
opportunity, and basic salary requirements. Finalists will be asked to
submit writing/editing samples along with references, but feel free to
submit with your application. An editing test will be administered
during the interview. Please send cover letter, resume and salary
requirements to email@example.com, fax 512-892-4448, Acres U.S.A., P.O.
Box 91299, Austin, TX 78709-1299. No phone calls, please. Salary will be
based on experience and qualifications. Submissions must include cover
letter, resume and salary requirements in order to be considered.