ASCD (formerly the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development), an educational leadership organization dedicated to advancing best practices and policies for the success of each learner, located in Alexandria, VA is looking for a communications specialist.
Communications Specialist: ASCD has an exciting opportunity for a Communications Specialist. This position analyzes education trends, researches education media, tracks ASCD’s communications efforts, and develops outreach strategies and content to increase ASCD’s visibility and credibility among internal and external audiences. Founded in 1943, ASCD (www.ascd.org) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that represents more than 170,000 educators.
This position requires:
· a degree in communications or journalism. Two years of demonstrated experience in education policy- or practice-related areas, writing, and/or media relations would be considered in lieu of a degree in journalism or communications.
· experience using technology (i.e. Vocus, Cision) for media tracking, research, and reporting. Ability to analyze and synthesize communications data and make communications recommendations based on education and media trends research and analysis.
· ability to problem-solve and exercise high-level conceptual thinking skills when developing and implementing communications plans, managing the news and media section of ASCD’s Web site, and contributing to ASCD’s internal communications efforts.
· demonstrated and strategic application of social networking tools as part of a comprehensive communications campaign.
· knowledge of education policy and/or practice, as well as strong news and policy-focused writing skills for both print and electronic media
We offer an expansive selection of benefits including a generous retirement plan, ample paid vacation/sick leave, flexible spending accounts, education assistance, and a comprehensive wellness program.
To express interest, send your resume and cover letter with salary expectation to HR@ascd.org.
Please submit relevant writing samples such as a news release, letter to the editor and opinion-editorial. M/F/V/D