John D. Graham Scholarship
Deadline: Monday, October 19, 2009
Application form available at: http://www.prssa.org/awards/awardJohnGraham.aspx
August 10, 2009: New PRSA Foundation Scholarship for Public Relations Students Honors John D. Graham of Fleishman-Hillard
In September 2009, will you be a public relations junior or senior? If so, we invite you to participate in the $5,000 John D. Graham Scholarship competition, an award presented by the PRSA Foundation, Inc. and sponsored by Fleishman-Hillard International Communications.
Application requirements are described below. There is no limit to the number of applicants from a PRSSA Chapter in good standing, and applicants do not have to be affiliated with PRSSA.
Winners will be announced and the scholarship presented at the Annual Awards Ceremony during the PRSSA 2009 National Conference in San Diego.
Entries will be judged by a committee of public relations professionals who will select the scholarship recipient, and award two Honorable Mention certificates.
The PRSA Foundation currently awards 12 scholarships annually via six scholarship funds. The John D. Graham Scholarship is being given for the first time this year.
Candidates must be enrolled in programs of journalism, public relations studies, or courses preparing for careers in public relations, and in their junior or senior year of undergraduate studies.
- Typed and completed by the candidate as directed, signed by the candidate, then signed by a Faculty, PRSSA or Professional Advisor. If not affiliated with a PRSSA chapter, it must be signed by a professor in your major.THE COMPLETED FORM MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY
- A letter of no more than two pages from either the Faculty, PRSSA or Professional Advisor, or a faculty member in your major, and
- A signed statement of no more than 300 words from the candidate expressing his/her commitment to a public relations career and its ethical practice.
- Also welcome, but not required, will be additional letters of recommendation (e.g. from internship employers, other educators), each no more than two pages.
- Provide a one page resume.ALL MATERIALS
- Must be typed and no materials other than those specified will be reviewed or considered by the judges (i.e., do not send work samples).DEADLINE
- For the 2009 program, the Nomination Form, supporting letters and candidate’s statement must all be received by Monday, October 19, 2009.They should be addressed to:
John D. Graham Scholarship
33 Maiden Lane, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10038
AN OFFICIAL NOMINATION FORM MUST BE
- Academic achievement in public relations and overall studies
- Demonstrated leadership
- Practical experience, e.g. internships, other work/service
- Commitment to public relations, particularly as expressed in the candidate’s statement
- Writing skills as demonstrated by the student essay
- Letters of recommendation