Position: DEPUTY COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
Salary Range: $60,000 - $65,000 (negotiable), (NYCLU has a generous and competitive benefits package)
Location: New York Civil Liberties Union, 125 Broad Street, NY, NY
Applications Accepted through
The NYCLU fights for civil liberties and civil rights through a multi-layered program of litigation, advocacy, community organizing and public education. The organization relies heavily on the media to reach a wide range of target audiences and educate the public about our key issues, and it creates a variety of content – from traditional reports to smart phone-only apps – to directly communicate with the public and its nearly 50,000 members statewide.
Roles and Responsibilities
The NYCLU Deputy Communications Director reports to the Communications Director and will assist with:
· Developing and executing communications plans
· Proactive media outreach and managing and responding to a high volume of press requests
· Writing and editing materials including press releases, advisories, talking points memos, op-eds, letters to the editor, reports, newsletters and public education materials
· Developing and supervising a talented team
· Working with the Legal, Legislative, Advocacy and Development departments to determine the best opportunities to promote the organization and its priorities
· Developing and executing communications plans (including new media), particularly around a legislative or advocacy goal
· A track-record of published content including op-eds and letters to the editor
· Working with reporters and success securing story placements
· Project management, particularly of publications
· Overseeing or directing the work of others
· Working in a fast-paced environment and meeting tight deadlines
· Expert knowledge of AP style
Additional desirable qualifications include familiarity with brand management; familiarity and understanding of civil liberties issues; and, a commitment to upholding the NYCLU’s agenda.
Flexibility to respond to breaking news and work evenings and weekends as needed
Salary negotiated based on experience. Excellent benefits include 4 weeks paid vacation; medical and dental insurance for staff members and their dependents and spouses/ domestic partners; life and long-term disability insurance; defined contribution plan; paid holidays.
How to Apply
E-mail your resume to email@example.com with DEPUTY COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR in the subject line.
Transmit your resume with a cover letter, a writing sample and an example of your public relations experience. The writing sample should showcase your writing style, e.g., press release, op-ed, blog post, letter to the editor, etc. The second should be an example of a story you successfully placed, e.g. an article, a link to a TV or radio clip, etc. Your cover letter should address the following:
- Your interest in the NYCLU and/or this position;
- A brief description (200 words or less) of your experience and how it makes you uniquely qualified for this position;
- Where or how you learned of this job posting
- Salary requirements
Applications will be accepted until . Qualified candidates may be asked to submit additional information, including performance samples and references from people you have worked with in the past.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.