Communications Associate, Friends of the Global Fight Against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Washington, D.C.
Friends of the Global Fight is an advocacy organization that works to increase public awareness and understanding of the Global Fund as well as knowledge about HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. The Communications Associate position is an integral part of the team. Working with the Director of Communications, and the Associate Director of Communications, this individual will support outreach to audiences including Members of Congress, the media and partner organizations both in the U.S. and globally.
The communications team works to further Friends of the Global Fight’s policy objectives via:
• Relationships with key journalists
• Relevant, timely and accurate collateral materials and thought leadership pieces
• Executive visibility (speaking engagements, events, authored pieces)
• Effective use of digital media
• Close collaboration with the Global Fund
• Engagement with advocacy partners
• Conduct extensive research to drive content development.
• Manage social media efforts.
o Oversee daily monitoring of Twitter, Facebook and other relevant social media platforms.
o Develop and post content for social networking sites.
• Manage implementation of media relations program.
o Writing & editing media materials (press releases, pitches, talking points, backgrounders and interview briefings)
o Conduct proactive media outreach
o Responding to media inquiries
o Developing and maintaining relationships with target journalists
• Support Deputy Communications Director in maintaining Web site.
• Support Friends’ presence at key events and conferences.
• Develop and manage the graphic collateral capabilities within the department and overall organization.
• Support the Deputy Director with quarterly newsletters and monthly Board updates.
• Draft press releases, op-eds, blogs and letters to the editor, as needed.
• Manage distribution of materials to appropriate audiences.
• Manage intern program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills.
• Strong research skills; ability to use open source and scholarly research as well as social media sources.
• Strong project management capabilities.
• Ability to make complex policy ideas accessible to various audiences.
• Knowledge of software programs including Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign), Constant Contact and content management systems.
• Capacity to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to take initiative and be flexible.
• Knowledge of public policy and legislative matters, international health care issues or international development a plus.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 1-3 years of professional work experience
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: Jobs@TheGlobalFight.org. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we are only able to respond to those applicants whose qualifications closely matches the job description. No phone calls please. Equal opportunity employer.