The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the
communications efforts of the Health Innovation department and
coordinating with communications efforts of the Chicago-based Marketing
Communications team. This will involve executing strategies to increase
the visibility of the YMCA Movement; coordinating internal
communications to YUSA and the greater movement in order to advance the
goals of the Health Innovation department.
This position is funded by a grant and funding is available through
December 31, 2012.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in the field of
Communications, Public Relations or Journalism
• A minimum of three years prior communications experience in a complex
public relations/national communications setting is required
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills are required
• Must have the ability to travel approximately 10% of the time
• Must possess experience in project management
• Proven experience in editing written material is required
• Knowledge and experience of strategic internal communications to a
large movement or membership based organization is preferred (i.e. use
of internet, extranet, magazines, newsletters, social media)
• Experience in health communications, government or non-profit public
affairs environments a plus
• Experience working with the media is preferred
• Must have the ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Values. Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring,
honesty, respect, and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s
mission, in all matters at all times.
• Inclusion. Values all people for their unique talents, and takes an
active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion,
and cultural competence.
• Relationships. Builds authentic relationships in the service of
enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work.
• Communication. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner
that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
• Quality Results. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to
achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
• Change Capacity. Leads self and others through change by navigating
ambiguity appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles,
• Emotional Maturity. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
• Self Development. Is dedicated to the improvement of own capabilities
and demonstrates this through the continual expansion of knowledge and
• Provide support to the communications strategies of the Health
• Coordinate, develop and maintain content promoting Health Innovation
news, resources and tools to YMCA Movement, Y-USA staff and other
stakeholders via newsletter, intranet, social media sites and other
• Write press releases, media advisories as needed
• Assist/support the media relations strategy of the Health Innovation
programs and projects. Research issues and prepare Issue Briefs, impact
documents, backgrounders, etc.
• Review, edit and proofread written materials as needed
• Translate data into narrative success stories and assist with
dissemination of those stories
• Manage online knowledge dissemination to ensure communication and
collaboration among staff and Ys.
• Manage production of printed materials related to Health Innovation
EFFECT ON END RESULTS/STRATEGIC IMPACT
This position is essential to ensuring that communications from the
Health Innovation department remain timely and of a high quality.
Role will be located in Washington, DC
Please apply at