Malaria No More Communications Director
REPORTS TO: MNM NYC, Chief Marketing Officer
ABOUT MALARIA NO MORE
Malaria No More is determined to end malaria deaths in Africa—and we’re helping the world get it done. Malaria No More leverages high-impact communications to engage the world, global advocacy to rally leadership and strategic investments in Africa to accelerate progress toward this goal.
In many ways, Malaria No More does not fit the traditional global health organizational mold: we are not strictly a funding organization, or an advocacy shop, or an on-the-ground implementer. Rather, Malaria No More is an entrepreneurial organization with elements of each.
In the few years since it was founded, Malaria No More has emerged as a key player in the fight against malaria. Malaria No More educated millions of Americans about the disease through its involvement in the two “Idol Gives Back” television charity specials and through groundbreaking broadcast and social-media campaigns; has distributed millions of mosquito nets to families across Africa; and has played a key role in facilitating nationwide social mobilization and communications efforts around malaria prevention and control in West, Central, and East Africa. Furthermore, the Malaria No More Policy Center in Washington, DC, is playing a crucial role in maintaining support for malaria control legislation and encouraging U.S. government leadership, while our international affiliates are helping to rally the world in the global effort to end malaria deaths.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Malaria No More is looking for Director of Communications who can promote, through strategic communications and media coverage, Malaria No More’s work in the United States, internationally and in Africa, including:
· Develop and oversee the execution of communications strategies to leverage Malaria No More’s unique strengths and “shine a bright light” on the issue of malaria and what Malaria No More is doing to end malaria deaths in Africa.
· Craft Malaria No More general messaging, thematic messaging and project-specific messaging for a consumer and press audience
· Build and maintain media contacts and relationships (print, television, radio and online), pitching press on relevant stories and shepherd them from pitch to completion, providing background data, contacts and support
· Project manage a broad variety of campaigns, initiatives and partnerships focused on engaging grassroots, thought-leader, and business support (involving all aspects from strategic planning to messaging to creative development to media to tracking)
· Build Malaria No More’s Africa-facing media contacts and foster relationships with journalists on the Continent to target stories to an African audience.
· Support Africa trips for stakeholders including celebrity champions, media, partners, and funders
· Serve as editor of Malaria No More’s web-based platforms, including daily blog, e-newsletters, web alerts, and website editorial content
· Write, edit and oversee the design and production of Malaria No More’s written products, including monthly progress updates to the Board of Directors and an annual Stakeholder Report for partners and potential donors
· Maintain relationships with communications departments in affiliate and partner organizations for common materials, press opportunities, reports and events
· Prepare Malaria No More staff for interviews with press and speaking engagements
· Work with the Development department to create messages that combine communications and fundraising efforts to the general public/targeted audiences for annual appeals, corporate engagement, events etc.
· Serve as hub of internal communications and frequent responder to consumer concerns, malaria community information and general malaria facts and data
· Draft and edit written materials including book chapters, speeches and op-eds for various internal and external partners to elevate Malaria No More.
· Work on storyboards and narrative arcs for Malaria No More videos and community-wide messaging opportunities.
· Frequently serve as Malaria No More representative or spokesperson with partners, board members, media, etc on the organization, our work and our mission.
· Manage Communications staff and outside Communications firm and provide strategic vision to advance the work of the department
· Demonstrate high energy and strong leadership skills, internally and externally, serving as an effective representative of Malaria No More and its key partners and a strong advocate for ending malaria deaths.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• 6 years of successful communications experience, including public relations experience, working with multiple national and local media outlets, and strong writing skills.
• Demonstrated success developing strategic PR and communications plans and implementing effective media relations strategies
• Strong strategic and analytical skills and an ability to distill complex concepts into concise messages.
· Strong knowledge of and interest in global health and development issues
• Strong leadership abilities, including excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire and develop others.
• Knowledge of AP style and possess excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
• Ability to assess the effectiveness of public relations campaigns and overall communications planning relative to particular audiences.
• Attention to detail, problem-solving attitude and strong organizational skills. Proven ability to handle projects, manage details, and follow-through independently.
• This position reports to the Chief Marketing Officer of Malaria No More, is full time and is based in New York City.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Subject: Communications Director.