Director of Communications
Midtown Alliance is a coalition of Atlanta*s top business and civic leaders focused on promoting economic development and enriching the quality of life in Midtown, Atlanta.
Since 1978, Midtown Alliance has transformed a 2-square mile area in the heart of Atlanta into a premier destination for commerce, culture, living, education and leisure, attracting billions of dollars of investment, with more than 100,000 new residents and workers and more than 6 million visitors annually.
Guided by a long-range, community-driven master-plan (The Blueprint), Midtown Alliance has spearheaded an urban renaissance that is now a nationally-recognized model of success. Today, Midtown is a vital, vibrant city center inspired by what people and businesses want: a unique urban experience that is at once welcoming, walkable, convenient and attractive.
Midtown Alliance is a non-profit organization funded in part by the Midtown Improvement District, membership dues and public and private grants. The organization implements a variety of programs and initiatives including streetscape and transportation infrastructure projects, urban design, a 24/7 public safety force, daily maintenance and landscaping, transportation alternatives and events.
Midtown Alliance is governed by a 15-person Executive Committee and a 60-person Board of Directors. It operates with a full-time staff of 14 and a 2011 budget of more than $20 million.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for the effective development and implementation of an organization-wide marketing and communications plan, including a strategy for media relations, public outreach, website and social media, publications and events.
Director of Communications will set goals and strategy to achieve objectives, manage staff, interns and contractors and measure the effectiveness of communications efforts against goals. The Director of Communications will also share responsibility to act as media spokesperson and represent the organization at events.
This position serves as an integral member of the senior management team and coordinates closely with all program areas of the Midtown Alliance, as well as with other strategic partners, institutional and business members and the community.
One of the first responsibilities for the Communications Director will be to conduct a full departmental strategic assessment and make recommendations to the management team.
This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will supervise a full-time Communications Coordinator, one or more communications interns and external contractors.
* Managing media relations activities to ensure key messages are delivered appropriately and promptly via local, regional and national traditional and online outlets. This includes proactive and reactive media relations and message development, working with staff and board to identify "hot button" issues and opportunities and action plans;
* Leading Midtown marketing strategies and initiatives (traditional, new media, grassroots and „ord of mouth*;
* Developing social media tools and outreach, communications tools, reports, and electronic newsletters. Managing graphic design, video and contractors as necessary;
* Managing the update and potential consolidation of existing web platforms, managing web contractors, creating and keeping content current;
* Working in collaboration with strategic partners within Midtown including arts and cultural institutions, educational institutions, businesses and employers, leasing agents, property managers, hotels, developers, residents, civic groups and governmental partners. Responsibilities include collaboration with other improvement districts and strategic partners within the City and metro region as appropriate;
* Working with membership director to ensure member growth, engagement and retention;
* Communications support of events; and
* Setting goals, tracking progress and message penetration through relevant communications metrics and assessing performance against goals.
The candidate must have a BA/BS degree with at least seven years of experience with increasing responsibilities in the following areas:
* Social media tools and applications, and the development and implementation of successful social media marketing strategies and programs;*
* Website management and content creation using a content management system and managing web and graphics designers;
* Media relations, identifying appropriate channels for stories and pitches while maintaining productive relationships with journalists, bloggers, key influentials and other strategic partners;
* Planning and executing successful marketing initiatives though a variety of platforms and new media; and
* Creating exceptional content that engages and informs, including press releases, newsletters, articles, annual reports, op-ed pieces, overseeing or creating video content, v-logs, etc.
The key attributes for this position include:
* A strong belief in the mission of the Midtown Alliance;
* Strong writing skills;
* Highly effective communicator;
* Creativity, persuasiveness and focus on outstanding execution;
* Strategic thinker with a sense of humor; and
* Ability to create great working relationships at all levels.
A competitive salary commensurate with experience plus full benefits package will be offered.
Qualified candidates should mail and email a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to:
Communications Director Search Committee
999 Peachtree Street, 730
Atlanta, GA 30309
No phone calls please.