Job Title: Corporate Communications Intern, External Communications
Job ID: 11966
Location: IL - Chicago
At Exelon, we've got a place for you. Exelon is developing sustainable energy to provide for the communities of today and planning for a brighter tomorrow. Exelon knows the future of energy is you.
As a Chicago based Fortune 150 Company, with more than $15 billion annual revenues, Exelon distributes electricity to approximately 5.4 million customers in Illinois and Pennsylvania, and gas to 480,000 customers in the Philadelphia area. In addition to energy delivery, Exelon's operations include energy generation and power marketing and has one of the industry's largest portfolios of electricity generation capacity, with a nationwide reach and strong positions in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic.
We know that before we can supply 41,000 megawatts of energy to our customers, we need to recognize that each of our employees plays an integral part in the process. The result? Changing the way the American power industry powers America. For you, this means advancement, challenge, and a company like no other.
Join Exelon and you can share your ideas at a forward-thinking company and the next big idea could be yours. You've just found Exelon, a place where you can truly shine.
Exelon Corporation, a FORTUNE 150 company, is one of the nation's largest electric
utilities, serving 5.4 million electric customers. Headquartered in Chicago, the Exelon
family of companies includes energy generation, power marketing, transmission and
energy delivery. Exelon is the largest owner/operator of nuclear power plants in the U.S.
and owns utilities in Chicago (ComEd) and Philadelphia (PECO). FORTUNE magazine
named Exelon one of the World's Most Admired Companies for 2010, and
BusinessWeek magazine ranked the company No. 7 in a list of the 50 top-performing
companies in 2009. Learn more at www.exeloncorp.com.
About the Position
Exelon's external communications team is seeking a motivated college graduate or
graduate student who is interested in a career in public relations or corporate
communications for an internship at the company's headquarters in downtown Chicago.
The intern supports a team that is responsible for managing Exelon's corporate
reputation and key issues to external audiences, primarily through media relations. The
ideal candidate will possess excellent writing, project management and communications
skills, as well as the ability to perform in a professional, fast-paced work environment.
- Position starts in September 2011; six-month commitment required, with potential for
- 30 hours per week
- Competitive compensation
- Writing and editing external communications materials, such as news releases, fact
sheets, media pitches, website content and correspondence
- Assisting with media relations activities, including communicating with reporters,
managing media lists, and media monitoring and analysis
- Researching business issues, media opportunities, and media outlets and reporters
- Developing, maintaining and updating website content using an online content
- Managing administrative functions, such as media subscriptions and archives
- College degree or significant experience in journalism, public relations or related field
- Strong writing, editing, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to multitask and produce high-quality work under tight deadlines
- Previous work experience in corporate communications or public relations preferred
- Working understanding of how the media works
- Online content management systems experience a plus
- Proven ability to work independently and on a team; positive attitude
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and 2-3 writing samples via email to:
Paul Elsberg, Media Relations Manager, Exelon Corporate Communications
Equal Employment Statement
Exelon is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.