GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network, is the leading national education organization focused on ensuring safe schools for all students. Established in 1990, GLSEN envisions a world in which every child learns to respect and accept all people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. GLSEN seeks to develop school climates where difference is valued for the positive contribution it makes to creating a more vibrant and diverse community.
Position: Public Relations Manager
Reports to: Director of CommunicationsObjective: The Public Relations Manager plays an integral role in advancing GLSEN's mission and strategic plan through the creation and execution of engaging public relations campaigns. They will increase GLSEN's visibility through maintaining all aspects of GLSEN's media relations and messaging, including oversight of social media content, to increase public and constituent awareness of GLSEN and its programs through traditional and new media. The Public Relations Manager is also responsible for ensuring and increasing public understanding of GLSEN as the leader in LGBT issues in K-12 schools, with programs and initiatives making concrete improvements in the lives of students every day.
- Build and maintain strong relations with mass media as well as LGBT and Education focused outlets.
- Increase public recognition of GLSEN brand and programs.
- Develop and implement, with assistance from Communications Director, public relations strategies for organization and programs.
- Write and disseminate compelling press releases and engaging PR collateral materials showcasing the GLSEN brand and programs.
- Develop and oversee a messaging platform to ensure consistency throughout internal and external audiences.
- Provide media training and preparation for relevant senior staff, Chapter leaders, student spokespeople and others as needed.
- Oversee GLSEN's social media presences.
- Provide strategic communications advice to Communications Director and other Senior Staff.
- Maintain and develop content for Media sections on organization websites.
- Support communications efforts of GLSEN's Chapter Network and other volunteer constituencies.
- Track and analyze GLSEN media coverage and provide recommendations for improved performance.
- 5 Years Media/Public Relations and/or related experience
- BA/BS preferred or equivalent experience
- Competency in a PC environment
- Strong writing and editing skills required
- Strong verbal communications skills
- Knowledge of Public Relations software
- Proficiency using social media
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Ability to multitask and support multiple departments
- Knowledge of LGBT and Education media a plus
This position is located in GLSEN's New York City headquarters. Resume and letter of interest should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to GLSEN, 90 Broad Street, 2nd Floor, New York, New York 10004
Salary is commensurate with experience
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.