Internship Opportunity Announcement
For Summer 2011
POSITION TITLE: Political Intern
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
Solidarity Strategies is looking for a high energy, smart, productive intern, interested in gaining hands on, practical political experience. Interns will directly assist senior staff in designing campaign programs for labor unions, progressive organizations and targeted campaigns.
The internship will offer students a structured experience working one-on-one with senior staff - the intern's staff mentor. Interns will learn to analyze key political issues and articulate solutions to the pressing problems of the day. We hope that our interns will learn that activism and participation in the democratic process yields results.
Though responsibilities vary, most interns will work on:
· Assisting with campaign planning, research and targeting of 2011 and 2012 races
· Helping to coordinate political activity in targeted states
· Assisting supervisor with preparation for meetings and events
· Working at trainings, meetings and events with senior staff on behalf of clients
· General office support
· Tracking and organizing grassroots efforts with a focus on connecting individual citizens to coalition members
· Commitment to progressive politics
· Academic background and interest in politics
· Eagerness to learn
· Ability to work independently and take initiative
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
· Strong research skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills to interact professionally within a diverse community
· Ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment
· Detail oriented and reliable
COMPENSATION: Internships are unpaid, but offer great experience, incredible networking opportunities and we will happily work with your school to ensure course credit. Based on performance the internship could grow into a paid position with Solidarity Strategies.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email a cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the position, as well as a resume and writing sample (no more than 2 pages) firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 29th, 2011.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 29th, 2011