Job and internship information for the public relations majors and faculty at Georgia State
Monday, February 21, 2011
Program Assistant, Vaccine Development, PATH, Washington DC
Program Assistant, Vaccine Development, PATH, Washington, DC
The Vaccine Development Program at PATH is looking for a new program
assistant to support both our communications team and our influenza
vaccine project. We're looking for someone with a unique combination of
communications interest/experience, as well as a willingness to perform
an array of administrative tasks for a scientific project. This could be
a great entry-level position for someone just starting out in global
Tracking Code 4428
PATH is an international nonprofit organization that creates
sustainable, culturally relevant solutions, enabling communities
worldwide to break longstanding cycles of poor health. PATH's mission is
to improve the health of people around the world by advancing
technologies, strengthening systems, and encouraging healthy behaviors.
The Vaccine Development Program at PATH (VAC) works with partners to
accelerate the development of new vaccines for diseases like pneumonia,
diarrhea, and influenza–diseases that are major killers in many
countries throughout the world.
The Program Assistant will provide administrative support to the several
teams: the Influenza Vaccine Program, the VAC Communications team, among
others. Duties and responsibilities include:
* Plans, prepares, and coordinates the distribution of proposals,
reports, graphics, Gantt charts, PowerPoint presentations, and other
materials utilizing various software tools.
* Reviews final drafts of technical reports, work plans, technology
updates, proposals, and other materials for grammar, punctuation,
spelling, formatting, clarity, and flow of content.
* Coordinates travel arrangements for team members and guests;
tracks team members' travel schedules.
* Manages scheduling and planning of meetings, including compiling
and organizing relevant background materials, preparing minutes, and
monitoring follow-up activities.
* Catalogs and manages reference documents and assembles literature
and publication resources for team use.
* Coordinates arrangements for guests, conferences, workshops,
meetings, and other events.
* Maintains records, including paper and electronic files.
* Supports the maintenance of PATH’s Vaccine Resource Library
website by adding resources to the web-based database, participating in
the quality assurance process for new/updated entries, monitoring the
website’s email account, making regular updates to static web pages, and
preparing quarterly reports on user statistics.
* Assists with the publication of VAC’s quarterly e-newsletter,
including managing the layout, distribution, and tracking of each issue
and occasionally drafting articles.
* Monitors vaccine-related news items, sharing relevant articles
with VAC staff and maintaining electronic and print media archives when
VAC is mentioned in the press.
* Serves as member of the VAC’s administrative team and backs up
other program assistants.
* Proficiency in application of Microsoft Office Suite.
* Proven success drafting, proofreading, and editing documents.
* Extremely detail-oriented, with the ability to communicate
effectively both orally and in writing.
* Prior experience working on websites, including updating web
pages, using web-based databases and email programs, and tracking user
statistics, a plus.
* Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multisite
organization and in a team-based structure.
* Proven effectiveness prioritizing competing demands and remaining
flexible and adaptable with changing priorities.
* Familiarity with Microsoft Project software a plus.
Associate's degree plus a minimum of two years of directly related
administrative experience; or equivalent combination of education and
experience. Studies in the life sciences and experience with
science-related terminology and concepts preferred.