Communications Assistant, CENTRONIA, Washington, DC
CentroNía presents a unique opportunity for a person interested in the nonprofit marketing, branding and public relations field. The Communications Assistant will support the Communications Associate in developing and executing communications-related projects that strengthen the CentroNía brand and increase the organization’s visibility. In general, the Communications Assistant will be responsible for a blend of writing, editing, administrative duties, media analysis and research.
In particular, the Communications Assistant will be responsible for working on the following:
o Update twice a month our media list, by calling and/or writing the current contact on the list. If the person has changed contact him/her to introduce CentroNía and mail a package of information.
o Track daily the Google readers and Google alerts in order to find any mention about CentroNía or any of the topics related with the organization, which deserves to be published either on our Social media,
internal e-mail, or newsletter.
o Interview, take photos and write a series of profiles/stories about staff. (A pager at the most per employee, which will include about 50 people)
o Find and feed our Al Dia/Stay tuned bank of stories for future publications, in topics like health & nutrition, green tips/advices, quotes and recipes. Write the newsletter if necessary.
o Assist with gathering the information and pictures to the quarterly newsletter Our Voice.
o Ensure that the most effective medium: a/v, video, graphic and photographic are consistently used in alignment with organizational branding.
o Assist with special events throughout the year.
o Assist during drafting press materials as well as general department correspondence and helping facilitate the creation of articles, speeches and other written materials.
o Update a general CentroNía Powerpoint that staff can use when doing presentations outside the center.
o Updating standard organizational materials including informational folders and general descriptions
o Assist finding news and upcoming events to keep updated the website
o Other projects as assigned
Required Core Competencies:
• Excellent strategic thinking and operational skills, abundant energy, creativity and drive with intellectual curiosity and passion.
• Superior written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, and excellent organizational, time-management and closure skills.
Technologically adept and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• The ability to build, cultivate and leverage personal and professional networks, develop and deliver successful presentations and collaborate, negotiate and solicit effectively.
• A team player with a passion for CentroNía’s mission and vision.
• Self-motivated and goal-driven with the ability to translate strategic thinking into targeted goals and actions.
• Commitment to participation in occasional evening and weekend activities
• Demonstrate initiative, self-motivation, and continual learning.
• Practice professional and effective interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to carry out all responsibilities, tasks and projects as assigned.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with team.
• Propensity for problem solving.
• Nurturing character that enables the building of respectful, trusting and collaborative relationships with children and their families.
• Ethical and professional conduct that facilitates the building of a respectful, trusting and collaborative relationship with all center staff.
• Modeling of appropriate behavior for children, parents and other staff.
• Respect for family information and confidentiality.
Pursuing an AA or BA degree in Communications/Journalism. BA preferred.
CentroNía is seeking candidates, who are enthusiastic about CentroNía’s mission and goals and eager to complement their learning experience with a practical exposure to the different aspects of the nonprofit communications field. 1-2 year prior internship or work experience in communications related position preferred. Bilingual (Spanish/English) a
plus but not required.
“Educating children and youth, and strengthening families, in a bilingual, multicultural community.”
CentroNía is an equal opportunity employers