Organization: American Occupational Therapy Association
Location: Bethesda, MD (walking distance from the Bethesda Metro Station)
Review of the Summer Internship Program: http://www.internshipratings.
Schedule: MTR, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. (flexible if this does not work with your summer commitments)
Compensation: Unpaid but can be completed for course credit. A letter of recommendation may be provided upon successful completion.
Description: The Media Relations Intern will assist with AOTA’s National Back Protection Day (September 15, 2010), Older Driver Safety Awareness Week (December 5-11, 2010) and “Be a Champion for Occupational Therapy” campaigns. Learning opportunities include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Drafting media materials (i.e., press releases, e-mail pitches)
* Actively reaching out to and following-up with members of the media
* Coordinating media interviews
* Logging all media placements
* Drafting Web content and other member materials
* Current undergraduate or graduate student at accredited academic institution
* Knowledgeable and passionate about public relations
* Driven, self-motivated and enthusiastic
* Knowledge of AP Style
* Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
* Previous experience reaching out to/working with the media
* At least one prior public relations internship
* Interest in health care and/or nonprofit/association public relations
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter, resume and at least one writing sample to Heather Huhman, media relations manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.