Policy and Advocacy Intern – 2010 Spring Semester, American Lung Association, Washington, DC
You can make a difference at one of the nation’s leading health non-profits. Join the American Lung Association in the fight against tobacco, lung cancer, asthma, emphysema, air pollution and lung health issues that afflict millions of people. We have a proud history of success in legislation, legal action, regulation and policy change that places us in the forefront of the most important public health and environmental issues facing our nation. Work with us to help those who suffer from lung disease today, and to stop the spread of lung disease tomorrow.
The National Policy and Advocacy Intern will be responsible for:
- Preparing background materials, appendices and assist with fact checking
- for reports.
- Drafting e-advocacy alerts and letters to Members of Congress.
- Accompanying American Lung Association staff on Capitol Hill visits when
- Drafting monthly e-newsletter on tobacco control policy developments
- Creating and updating content for the American Lung Association’s public
- Conducting research projects on lung health statistics and policies
- Helping track pending tobacco control legislation using the Statenet
- Performing other duties as assigned, including some administrative tasks
Up to 20 hours per week during normal business hours
Advanced Undergraduate/Graduate Students are encouraged to apply.
Qualified candidates should possess general knowledge of the legislative process, legislative and general researching skills, strong writing abilities, creative problem solving skills, a careful attention to detail, and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Candidates must possess strong overall computer skills, particularly in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access. An interest in or knowledge of tobacco control policy, environmental health, asthma or other public health policies is desirable, but not required. Capitol Hill experience is a plus.
Please submit a one-page writing sample, cover letter and resume to:
Director, Administration & Office Services